Finding the perfect home is not easy in the densely populated Netherlands. Here’s how it works:
- More houses have become available in the private rental sector in 2016 because the sellers’ market is hot and housing is in demand.
- The Dutch social housing sector makes up 75 percent of the rental market.
- Competition for attractive housing in popular areas is fierce, so house hunters need to be ready to sign quickly if they find the right home.
- Expats are advised to buy only if they will be in the Netherlands for five years minimum, mainly due to the recovery of start-up costs involved in buying property (in total, around six percent of the purchase price).
- If you are only here for a couple of years, renting is likely your best option, despite high rents in desirable places.
Check out the exhibitors at the Expat Fair about Housing.